Your browser does not support JavaScript or its disabled!
Please turn it on, or be aware that some features on this website will not work correctly.
Contentbox headline
You are not logged in. Log in to post on the forum.

Boards >> Suggestions & Feedback >> Discouraged new players.

Page: 1
Discouraged new players.
by Green Bastard
Author  
Green Bastard
Position: player
Profession: Knight
Level: 36

Discouraged new players.
Before you start reading this topic, I want to remark that I don't want Dura to be easier so read carefully.

The essence of Dura is it difficulty and I must say that I love it. I always had it mind that tibia should be more troublesome, not the opposite.

Just as this system is remarkable, it also has a big flaw. Discouragement of less experienced players who decide to create an account here.
Those who played tibia for years are more resistant to increased difficulty, dying few times early is annoying but it's not something that could make us quit.
There is also other side of this, portion of new players who arrive here and come to mainland are put to a very hard challenge, it's not really that
hard to die early, Reworked spots, holes, ambushes and often raids make it quite easy.

Dura is hard, and always should be, but...

We all know that real game begins later, early leveling is just a stage that we all have to go through, once you do it, every next character is easier because you
have more experience, know the map better and you know which places you should avoid to survive. You also have EQ to start. That is the case with "hardcore" players who
know the game well or at least are persistent enough to survive and go further. There is also a portion of players who aren't that familiar with the game and they go unprepared
into the unknow, it often ends with them quitting after dying several times.

You might think that "So what? Let them quit! We don't need them!" and you couldn't be more wrong.

This creates a demography problem that affects the whole game. If this problem continues to exist, future Dura community will be composed of old, high level players who all

know each other. People will have to start making bedmages or to use RoHs to make runes because there won't be many on the market, noobs often sell runes so that they can get

some gear or spells of it. Without new noobs, market will slowly start to decay. Low/Middle level equipment will be almost impossible to sell because server population will

stale, it will be a group of the same old people who all know each other and new ones won't join their group very often. Population will be decreasing slowly, until the point

where the problem will be irreversible. When this problem will be clear as day, people will slowly start retiring, so not only there will be less new players but also number of

old ones will start reducing. Nobody want's to play on a Ghost Server.

Low level areas difficulty must be reduced and with fewer number of ambushes.

Dura should be a gentle teacher, a place where people will learn it's tricks slowly while leveling early, they should start to notice that spawns are harder, holes aren't the

same and that ambushes shouldn't end in death everytime they get into one (Early, they should work as a lesson as of what to expect in future). I understand that it must be

very annoying and discouraging for some players to die often early and start gathering their EQ again after loss. Once they reach level 20-30 and change hunting areas from the

easiest ones to a better ones, a difficulty leap should occur so that they aren't put in a position where you are a noob with level 8-15 who goes into unknown and dies because

the map is changed. With that simple change they will be facing the same problem not as fragile pushovers but as a trained rookies, who have some decent EQ and runes to face

the danger.

Please join the discussion and tell me what are your thoughts about this, because if you agree with me, I have ideas that should improve this situation. There's no point in

proposing them if there will be no interest in them.

English isn't my native language so excuse me for any mistakes in the text.
25.04.21 10:21:31
Vex Grym
Level: 27

Can't agree more and if you say any of this in English chat you will be shouted down and mocked by tutors and experienced players alike.

This new player experience is among the most alienating of any OT I've ever played and I've been playing Tibia and OTs since 2002.

If I didn't find an orcish axe immediately out of temple from an orc raid, I would have quit after the first hour east of Thais. Can people grind for a day from level 8-12 in trolls and poison spiders with a leather set and short sword? Sure. Does anyone want to? No.

Thanks to that orcish axe I decided to try grinding to 12, training on trolls, and saving up all of my money. The next day I spent the thousand or so gold to travel to Darashia with the goal of hunting mino pyramid to start lootbagging for gear. Woops, mino archers on ground floor. Woops, there's a mummy, beholder, and ghost in northern rots and fire devils in eastern rots. Without the help of higher levels, who is going to kill the lured turbo beholder making yet another starter cave completely inaccessible?

It can be overcome, but as OP said - the real game begins later. How many new players won't stick around to find out?
24.05.21 13:13:57
Gumas
Level: 23

New player here - agree 100%.

Now don't get me wrong, so far I am enjoying myself.
But I am super stubborn and persistent, and I like hard games.

But even I was about to alt+f4 when I saw ghost spawns and beholders on rotworms.

Come on - ghoul here and there is fine. But what does adding Ghosts and Beholder to Fibula rotworms accomplish?

The only thing it accomplishes is making people lure ghosts to surrounding rooms which is just annoying, and avoid the beholder part of the spawn.

Couple ghols and random boss rotworm encounters make the game harder and surprising. Random ghosts and beholders make the game simply annoying to play and inaccessible.
31.05.21 06:03:10
Vitality
Profession: None
Level: 2

Im not discouraged by this server I do like the challenge but I noticed the 3 people who commented on this have not been online in a while..
Maybe they have a point about newbies being discouraged because its overwhelmingly hard for some people in those beginner caves.

Not me though lol just a thought from reading this post
17.11.21 00:03:24
Bringer
Profession: Paladin
Level: 13

I gotta agree. Today is day 1 for me and I play as a pally.

What I've gathered is that this server is like old 2003 tibia, but with more spawns, and elites.

Elites effectively increase the level requirement for hunting due to their speed. I always hunted PoH as a pally at around level 20 (before they could haste). I'm almost 14 now with about 5 hours in, could get to PoH tomorrow??? Nah, need like lvl 60 for it.

Rots, Minos, and Cycs til 60? No thank you, not fun :(
31.12.22 17:34:01

Monster of the Week Monster Pedestal and Players Online Box

Players Online