Your browser does not support JavaScript or its disabled!
Please turn it on, or be aware that some features on this website will not work correctly.
Contentbox headline
You are not logged in. Log in to post on the forum.

Boards >> Role Playing >> Interview with Aris

Page: 1
Interview with Aris
by Prakith
Author  
Prakith
Position: tutor
Profession: Royal Paladin
Level: 135

Interview with Aris
Hello Durans,

I have the pleasure of presenting to You an interview with the Creator and Manager of Dura. The interview was made at the beginning of May, but my time shortage postponed the release to December. Some information is outdated, but I decided to not cut them from the final version. I hope You enjoy it. Let’s start!

1. Prakith: First of all, thanks for Your time. We will start with a standard question. Tell something about You and Your real life. Where are You from, how old are you, what do you do for a living?

Aris: I am from the East Coast of the USA. I am 32 years old and my full-time job is Dura. I'm a big fan of cinema and history. My favorites are Mediterranean and European history. Unfortunately, since I started releasing Dura, I don’t watch movies or read books like I used to.

2. Prakith: When Your journey with Tibia began and how? Which server did you play? What is Your favorite vocation?

Aris: I started in November 2001 or 2002. My friend, who lived on our street, showed me and my brother the game and we started playing, because he was playing. We had the dial-up internet and we were sharing one computer. We started on Amera, the website of tibia.com was very old and there were only a few servers, probably 5 or 7. When new worlds were released we went to Celesta. I played around 16 hours on the first day and was the highest level. I remember: I looted the first boots of haste on Celesta, I went with my 28 sorcerer to Drefia with demon skeletons. I was hunting them a lot. I met a Druid once there, he was approx the same level as I was. We were switching on necros for many days, but he started outleveling me. He ran to be the best on the server - level 140 or something like that. Once I went to check what he was doing - then all players were posting screenshot images on World of Tibia. This guy was stair-hooping behemoths with SDs. I was impressed. Many years later after that I realized this guy was cheating. Everyday shooting SDs to behemoths - with their horrible loot. He must buy gold or have a rune farm. I was also the founder of the guild designed to be diplomats by force.. The guild was once on TibiaNews - that was kinda cool. About my favorite vocation: I don’t have any, I like all four. I mostly played a Paladin, if I must choose today, I vote for a Knight. But Sorcerer is a badass for PvP, Druid can heal, i really like the healing, but for Dura today I will choose Knight because I like the ease of gameplay and being a tank.

">

3. Prakith: Let’s talk about Dura. It's a fantastic world and great custom-made content. How did it begin? Is it only Your own or Your team's idea?

Aris: It was June 2019. I woke up one day, when I hadn't played Tibia for a very very long time and I had looked at Tibia or OT on Twitch.tv. I saw someone streaming and It was just depressing. I said “Really? This guy is still stair-hooping and shooting SDs?” I tried the game, I played for a day and I also was stair-hooping, because I was forced to do this - it was the best option to hunt. Then I went to OTLand and looked to see how I could do it better. I never worked in coding or Game Development before but I thought ‘how hard could it be’. The answer for the second part of the question, Dura foundation was my idea, but when the team was getting bigger more ideas started to come out from the team. Zown is the prime programmer as well as a fellow designer, for example elite monster system is his idea, though it was contributed to by both of us. It is the most beloved system on Dura, it’s Zown idea. Not me.

4. Prakith: Walking through the old mainland We can find some custom content, small hunting grounds or new areas with exploration quests. There is a plan to rework the old mainland with adding questlines like Ankrahmun?

Aris: In my opinion, the original mainland is very well designed. No rework is planned, maybe adding new things inside it or some editing to it but the core design of the mainland is very good and will not be changed.

">

5. Prakith: What about elite monsters? The frequency of appearing on monsters higher than 2000 experience is very low. Is it working like planned? I usually do 1.5 hour - 2 hour hunts and sometimes didn’t meet any elite for weeks. Is it my bad luck or should I meet them rarely?

Aris: Every monster has the same chance to become an elite. Doesn’t matter if it is a troll or a demon. It is just math and the probability; you feel like a troll gives more elites than a demon because you kill more trolls so you get more elites overall, but it’s the same proportion. When You flip a coin it is 50% to 50%, but it can roll heads for example 7 times in a row. It is just a chance.

6. Prakith: Maybe some difficult questions now. Changing the skilling system it was taken into account that players will achieve 190 axe fighting, 160 distance fighting or even 140 magic level? It is only a small group of players with a high investment of time or money, but it looks like they are too strong for current content.

Aris: In short answer: Yes. Why we do that? In the classic game all that matters is level, everything else is plateau. Only determination of power is level, nothing else. Later in Dura I want to see even 300 melee fighting skills, when we have content for this level. He will be powerful, but the monsters will also be more powerful. It is making the game more fun. All levels should hunt content for their level. That’s why it is the way it is. It is definitely supposed to be this way. Is it perfect? Probably not, because it is very hard to predict how players will actually play the game two years before. On the other hand, it is a little dysfunctional at this moment - a couple reasons, but it’s complicated to explain in a short answer. After introducing the kha'labal, level 180 probably beat the game. After this level You should wait for a content for their level. You should skilling or maybe create a new character. My personal advice for 180 level players - You should have 150 skill or 110 magic level probably maximum. If you gain more it is dysfunctional. After hitting this level it’s hard to imagine the game being fun with it’s current challenges; if you fight rotworms till level 80 your missing out on hunting cyclops at level 40. You are robbing Yourself of the future game experience - after Ankrahmun we will add content for the level 250. Game designers can work 16 hours per day and we never be faster than players who play 8 hours per day. We can cap this, but we don’t do this. This game is designed to be without end, but it takes time for us to keep creating a higher end. Levels 220 shouldn’t fight against demons or behemoths. They are too easy for them and they are getting insane profit and exp. That’s why they should stop for their own fun. However it’s our job to design the game so there is more to do and so people feel incentivized to do hard things, not easy things.

">

7. Prakith: Still a difficult question, how many quest lines on before-ank content weren’t discovered or discovered, but not solved yet?

Aris:: I will give the same answer that I give to the people. Yes, there is stuff that is still undiscovered. But I can’t talk about it. It is up to players to figure it out. I can’t say what it is and how many there are. I can only say: Yes. Knightmare actually said that the half of figuring out a quest is to figure out if there is something or not – and he’s right. What I can also tell you is THERE IS STILL things substantial of area, quest, and lore completely undiscovered in The Kha’labal, people’s jaws are gonna drop when they find some of this stuff.

8. Prakith: Where will we go in the next updates? Ank II, vocation-balancing, but what will be the next content update? Port Hope like on Real Tibia or Dura Team is preparing something new?

Aris: It’s not gonna be Port Hope, it’s not gonna be anything Tibia related. The update after the Ankrahmun update will be 100% full custom. I have been working on it since January 2021. It was one of the reasons why Ankrahmun was delayed, because I don’t wanna switch my focus from that to Ankrahmun. It goes rights back to the roots of the game and the roots of the Dungeons and Dragons. It's gonna be a European, Medieval, temperate climate, fantasy world. In terms of Dura you're gonna think Thais, Edron, Kazordoon. It is European, Medieval, forests, rivers, mountains, and caves; Dungeon and Dragons and Lords of the Rings. That’s where we're gonna go.

9. Prakith: Will we see new spells with new elements? For example exori glacii, exori tera or such thing is not planned yet?

Aris: For this moment, we don’t have any new spells with new elements planned. Maybe some changes will be included with a vocation-balancing update. Maybe we will design new spells later, but for today we are focusing on other things like Heroic System, Overexperience system.*

*Interview was done at the beginning for May. It was before Heroic system implementation and before vocation-balancing update.

">

10. Prakith:: On Dura we have only a few bosses - Kursaa, Syele etc. At this moment, all bosses are for high level teams. Will we see some random bosses for each level? It will be great to find Necropharus during hunt on Drefia or The Old Widow on POH or new custom bosses, for example The Best Miner in Dwarf Mines. Maybe some old players will come back and become boss hunters?

Aris: Kursaa, Syele always will be the top bosses on Dura. We are working right now on rebalancing them for higher levels. We will also introduce new end-game bosses - the demon bosses. It will be bad when we boost those bosses, the level 100-120 cannot kill them. So we will add new bosses for mid-levels. Bosses, real bosses in the game, should start around level 120. The Old Widow or Necropharus are on the table, but they will be bosses for level 120 or higher. We are thinking about rewards and restrictions. When level 300 kills the level 150 boss probably he won’t get loot and exp, he shouldn’t be able to get legendary items in the easy way. Maybe we are able to introduce a buff for example for a month after killing a boss, lots of ideas. For levels under 120 we don’t plan to introduce bosses. They can meet elites and it should be enough. Maybe later, but at this moment they are not planned. New bosses will work in tandem with the balancing and the legendary thresholds. All bosses will be for level 120 to endgame and all players should have the chance to kill the boss, not just the highest in the game.

">

11. Prakith: Great. Let’s end the interview with some easy, short questions. Your favorite Dura's city?

Aris: If only human cities: 1) Thais 2) Ab'dendriel and Venore tied.

Prakith: It can be Mintwallin if you want. It is still a city.

Aris: Honorable Mention: Elvenbane.

Prakith: A Sorcerer or a Druid?

Aris: Druid. Nature all the way.

Prakith: An Axe, a sword or a club?

Aris: Sword.

Prakith: Being a Gamemaster or a Player?

Aris: Player.

Prakith: Dwarves or Elves?

Aris: Elves. But every two months for a weekend Dwarves.

Prakith: Crystal arrows(quest) when?

Aris: Never.

">

Prakith: Finally, I want to thank You, Aris, for Your time. It was a pleasure to ask You some questions. Do you want to tell us something at the end?

Aris: You’re welcome. Those were really good questions. I hope it was interesting and helpful answers. Of course, thank You for the interview. What I can tell at the end… Dura is definitely not just Aris, it’s not even like 50%. People like Admin Zown, Michael, Puppets, Game Masters that we have and other developers that we work with, community creators on paged website. I really wish You more luck with the Kha’labal. There are many more mysteries. Figure it out please. Lastly, what I want to say: what is most important is we want players to be creators of the game, this will make the game the best it can be. If you have any interest seize on it and join us in Editors and Storytellers: https://discord.gg/GT7eprZSnN.

Prakith: Great. For post-production could You send a screenshot of your favorite places in Dura?

Aris: Sure.*

*All screenshots inside this interview are Aris’ favorite places.

Prakith: Thank You once again and have a nice day for You and for all Durans.

">

That is all that I prepared for You. At the end I want to thank Aris for the time dedicated and apologize to all Durans for the long time of preparation. I hope You had fun while reading. Feel free to leave the comment below.

Cheers, Prakith.
15.12.23 19:55:09
Life Shiver
Position: player
Profession: Elder Druid
Level: 151

HE SAID E*VESSSS <SPIT>
CAN'T BELIEVE THIS SPIRIT RATHER THA VEGANS OVER US AND NOW ALL MAKES SEN... <BURP> SE.... GONNA TORCH THAT BUSH "CITY" AGAIN..

Me won't loose the opportunity! This "ARIS" really luvs knightmarrre ME SEE... can say that this "knight" wer so wrong in soo many shapes and forms that tha role in his design just VANISH in tha universed it helped to DEVELOP... IDEALISTMARE

ME WANTS MOR ANKH THNIGIES AND LESS VEGANSHIT FLUFFLY THINGS
15.12.23 23:32:16

Monster of the Week Monster Pedestal and Players Online Box

Players Online